- Garden Pests
- Will Bubble Gum Kill...
While it’s true that raccoons are mischievous creatures, bubble gum is not an effective way to get rid of them. In fact, it’s more likely to give them a minty-fresh breath than to kill them.
Raccoons are known for their pesky and mischievous behavior. They can cause damage to homes, gardens, and even spread diseases.
As a result, homeowners are always looking for effective ways to keep them away from their property. One popular suggestion is using bubble gum to kill raccoons.
But is it really effective? And more importantly, is it humane?
In this article, we will take a closer look at whether bubble gum can actually kill raccoons and explore some alternative methods to deal with these critters.
Will Bubble Gum Kill Raccoons? Separating Fact from Fiction
The idea that bubble gum can kill raccoons has been around for a while, but it is mostly a myth. While chewing gum can be harmful to some animals, it is unlikely to be lethal to raccoons. Here’s why:
- The digestive system of a raccoon is designed to break down and process a wide range of food items, including tough plant material, insects, and even small rodents. Bubble gum is not likely to cause any significant damage to their digestive tract.
- Raccoons are known for their ability to scavenge and eat a variety of things, including trash, dead animals, and even roadkill. As a result, they have developed a high tolerance for toxins and harmful substances.
- Even if a raccoon were to swallow a large amount of bubble gum, it is unlikely to cause a blockage in their intestines. Bubble gum is designed to be stretchy and flexible, which makes it difficult to form a solid mass that can cause a blockage.
So, while bubble gum may cause some discomfort and irritation to raccoons, it is unlikely to be fatal.
In fact, using bubble gum to kill raccoons is not only ineffective but also cruel and inhumane.
[Related Post: Raccoon Encounter Gone Wrong: Absolutely Never Do This!]
Alternative Methods for Dealing with Raccoons
If you have a raccoon problem, there are several more effective and humane ways to deal with it. Here are some suggestions:
- Use a humane trap – A humane trap is a great way to catch raccoons without harming them. You can release them far away from your home in a safe and appropriate location.
- Seal off potential entry points – Raccoons are excellent climbers and can easily access your property through holes, gaps, and cracks. Seal off any potential entry points, including chimneys, vents, and attics, to prevent them from entering your home.
- Use noise and light deterrents – Raccoons are nocturnal creatures and prefer to stay away from bright lights and loud noises. Installing motion-activated lights and playing loud music can help keep them away from your property.
In conclusion, while bubble gum may be a popular myth for getting rid of raccoons, it is not a reliable or humane method.
Raccoons are adaptable creatures and can survive on a wide range of food and environments, which makes it difficult to kill them with bubble gum. Instead, try using some of the humane methods we suggested above to deal with raccoon problems.
Remember, just because raccoons can be pesky and mischievous, it doesn’t mean we have to resort to inhumane or cruel methods to deal with them.
Let’s try to coexist with these fascinating creatures and find ways to peacefully share our spaces.
So, the next time someone asks you, “Will bubble gum kill raccoons?” You can confidently answer, “No, but it might make them blow some pretty impressive bubbles.”